Sunday, May 30, 2010

If looks could kill, the mirror would have been my weapon


Yesterday I did a double, back to back starting at 8am and with not much sleep, then I went wade fishing for 4 hours and again didn't get much sleep. So this morning when I went to class sore and tired, I already wasn't very cheerful or optimistic... AND THEN-
A man I call Mr Vocal chose to be in the front row, one person down from me, putting himself directly in my line of sight and at optimum audio range. Unknowingly this man became all that I hate in the world for about 85 minutes. While my legs burned in standing forehead to knee, I blamed him, while my balance failed in balancing stick, I blamed him, while baby sea turtles washed up on the shore, dead and covered in oil, I blamed him. I proved today that I do not posses the power to will lightening to strike, or it would have. At some point while I was sure that the root of all evil was going to make my head explode I noticed the queen of yoga to my right focusing calmly and serenely in the mirror, and I realized, if anything, Mr. Vocal was a gift I should be thankful for, he was a challenge for my focus and my determination. There are plenty of people who I used to allow to upset me by their behavior, but really when people act disruptive or combative it is simply a challenge to remain focused, and not allow your energy to be consumed by negativity. At the end of class I still would have liked to politely let him know how distracting and inconsiderate it is to behave the way he does, but its not my problem, and its not worth my energy. I left regretting that I spent the majority of my practice allowing myself to be upset and irritated, but glad that I had ended it with a stronger peace and focus. If Mr. Vocal is at the 4pm class maybe Ill ask him to stand directly next to me. After the 4pm I will only have 2 more classes to go by the end of Tuesday to accomplish my challenge!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy this one,as I do all of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete